Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day! Let's Pitch and Catch!

MLB

Watch it! Keep those naughty minds in check.  As most of us know, February 14th is the Hallmark, err... I mean holiday of love.  Oddly enough, this love label doesn't always translate into a happy holiday for everyone.  Some people dread this holiday.  They fear being alone, desire companionship, or they're guys! ... Sorry mom, it's just a joke.

However, in 2011, Feb 14th offers its landmark date for a second reason.  What's that you say?  How about those who don't feel the Valentine's day vibe, but stand by their love for sports, especially baseball?  Here ya' go baseball fans! The World Series Champion San Francisco Giants' pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training today.  This marks the end of a joyous offseason, but the beginning of another dream season.  Not all teams are as lucky to have their first day coincide with such a lovely holiday.  I like to think the G-men earned it and hopefully such diligence will continue to reproduce good luck.

There's not much I can say about the Giants' stellar pitching staff and their excellent catcher (Buster Posey) that hasn't already been said.  So, I won't.  I'll simply wish them and the entire team the best of luck (hope for no injuries) as they continue to work, improve, and hopefully bring home more hardware.  Because it is the holiday of love, I need to channel love towards a long-lost love of mine, one that lost his heart in San Francisco (not in a good way)--Barry Zito.

Outside of the Giants' organization, Mr. Zito was my favorite pitcher when he was an ace of the A's.  I have A's fans in the family and I lived closer in proximity to Oakland's stadium than McCovey Cove's.  That is why the Oakland Athletics were always my second favorite team.  (They could have been my numero uno if there had been more Athletic exposure when I was growing up.  You can only love what you experience and local blackouts--or lack of TV coverage--don't help promote love).  The Zito 12-to-6 curveball was love at first sight.  It prompted me to follow the free-spirited, surfer-dude, music loving, knee buckling pitcher as he ascended from the A's Big Three, to Cy Young Winner, to across the Bay in orange and black.  Favorite pitcher on your favorite team is supposed to be a match made in heaven (even with an overpaid contract).

What evolved was nothing of that sort.  My relationship went sour and I joined fellow Giants' fans into what turned into an abusive relationship.  We jeered and had little tolerance for a struggling player because we believed he had not earned his payday.  I read an article about Zito last season when his 5-0 start appeared to signal a turnaround for his disastrous first few years in the City by the Bay.  To me, the story seemed like a practical joke.  Zito himself claimed that a reason for his recent success was that he ceased having people over late at night during the season and stopped letting "people he didn't know" into his house... good sleep and no strangers... Are you kidding me?  I learned these "keys to success" in grade school.  Excuse me, but why the **** is a professional athlete getting paid millions to act more immature than a 5th grader?  Unfortunately, there may have been more substantial reasons because Zito's season began to tank.

While I appreciate the work Zito contributed to a World Series Championship team, he was rightly excluded from the postseason roster.  The divine, salary induced, right of the regular season expired thanks to excellent managing.  Zito struggled with what was solely under his control--his control, more specifically his ability to throw the ball into the targeted strike-zone.  He walked batters left and right and handed away games.  Simply put, he hadn't earned the privilege to pitch for his team in a tough-earned postseason.  I understand that Zito took his demotion like a man, rooting for his team and never complaining.  Finally, a glimpse of maturity from a +$100 million man.

November 3, 2010 aka the Giants' Parade.  In that moment, I took a page out of my Warrior book and "I believed" in a return of Barry Zito.  That day was filled with so much love and adoration for a team accomplishment.  We injected the infinite joy from the Giants World Series win back into our players.  We showed them with great conviction that we love what they do.  I believe an even emotionless Zito must've felt this!  Zito's stoic face portrayed his desire to contribute.  I'm hoping the Parade love sparks the hard work necessary to recapture the amazing talents of a former Cy Young winner.  A sort of "Inception" for one who has now become valued as our 5th starter despite being paid as our #1.  If this parade trick works, and barring injuries, the 2011 Giants will continue their amazing run and silence the critics who still believe Cliff Lee and the rest of the Phillies' pitching staff are unstoppable.  Talk is cheap, so let the best team win.

Sometimes, the "Valentine's Day somberness" can stir up memories of a former lover.  Not one that you yearn to have back someday (like Zito) but one that you mistakenly weep over.  Ya' know, the one where if you had some perspective you would realize that one isn't THE one.  For me, Not-the-one is my first love Mr. Barry Bonds.  I'm not kidding--I skipped a school dance to watch this guy swing the bat in a World Series.  I was googly-eyed and demanded a ring in 2002 so... so... badly!  (darn Rally Monkey!)  When the ring slipped out of my grasp, I held on too tight to Barry.  But now, I need closure.  It'll be tough, but it's time.

Barry B., I'm moving on... No! It's not because I met a rich Barry Z.  It's me, not you.  You were great (as an individual player), but I was young, in love, and blinded by your offensive dominance.  I needed to grow up and open my eyes to defense.  I'm changed now, I value D more than O.  Barry... I need to tell you... there is someone else... there's been several others... it's... the S.F. Giants' TEAM.  They just swept me off my feet.  These "castoffs and misfits" (I despise that nickname) won my heart over and showed me what teamwork and team spirit can do.  It is truly beautiful.  I learned that team love is greater than any individual love.  I'm sorry, but it's true.  I still never forget you Barry! I'll cherish our good moments forever.

Whew, that was rough.  I hope the big guy doesn't take it too hard.  Seriously, we (Giants fans) were infatuated with Bonds.  He seemed untouchable, and was God-like (at the plate) so we built around him.  It brought us close, but no cigar.  When the Giants struggled, we worried about who would protect Bonds and who else would produce besides him.  We coveted one offensive man over the unbeatable defensive zero.  It was silly considering that the "ultimate player" was NOT the ultimate teammate.  Ridiculous clubhouse accommodations and teammate altercations just don't occur around team-first players.  Not until the Giants tasted team success did I realize our false worship.

However, the love spreads this day. So, why not forgive ourselves and spread it to the one who once excited us?  Word on the street is that Bonds wants to become a hitting coach for the Giants.  I say hire the legend once his legal distractions fade.  (I'm crying foul if Bonds gets prison-time when no one else has.)  Anyhow, his sweet swing and brilliant eyes are not a result of alleged steroids.  Those talents are born from Bonds, and such knowledgeable wealth would benefit any baseball hitter.  I hope we give the home-run king a chance in retirement to become the team player he once avoided.  People can change for the better, especially after being properly inspired.  Love ya' 2010 G-men!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© James M. Dion 2017