Friday, December 31, 2010

Wish List: Part 2

NFL

You know what's great about a fake holiday wish list?  You don't have to finish it by the real holidays; no demanding deadline.  It's no thesis paper that I must finish before spring break so that I don't receive a big fat zero on my understanding of Women's studies (a particularly troubling class to fail before a Vegas road trip).  However, ESPN imposed a deadline for me, in its own cryptic way.  My most obsessively watched network advertised its campaign for the new year: "The Year of the Quarterback." (YQB) I couldn't believe it.  I've been delaying this post for a few days, but now I must speak before my thunder is blown away.  I'm not aware of ESPN's approach, but the title gives it all away.  YQB will expose the inter-workings of the most volatile and difficult position to master in all of sports: The Quarterback.  The people at ESPN may have beaten me to the punch, but I'd like to divulge a little bit of my understanding of the position (don't worry, I plan on keeping an eye on you ESPN).

As my friends can attest to, I've had an itch with quarterbacking.  I simply am astounded that there are not thirty-two people, at a given moment, that can master all that is required to be quarterback.  Some do it well: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and leader of the defending champs Drew Brees.  Some that did it well: Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Elway, Favre (sorry Brett, I admire your desire, but retire before you get pummeled into oblivion).  And some that will do it well: Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and I'm praying the next Niners' QB.  However, the majority of people who attempt to tackle quarterbacking fail to achieve the level required in order to perform with true excellence.  I do not blame them, for it is nearly impossibly difficult to achieve.  One must conquer a treacherous obstacle course filled with Steel Curtain defenses, organizational misjudgments, pressure packed expectations, arduous personal journeys, and the list goes on and on. 

By no means am I capable of stating how one surmounts these challenges, but I am capable of wishing for myself and everyone willing; to learn how "Greatness" ticks.  Hence, I will proceed to discuss my wishlist.

My Holiday Sports Wish List (continued):

Playoff injuries and a 4-Down-Offense.

I know, it sounds sinister, unlike my last charitable wish.  However, from grave circumstances arise revelations never before seen.  I am not rooting for injuries in general, nor any serious consequences to good health.  I am merely interested in the idea that an injury, something deemed negative, could revolutionize how we perceive our country's most popular sport.  An injury to the kicking game.  Basically, I am curious to see what would arise if the art of kicking, by some mysterious happenstance, is eliminated from a must-win scenario.  If this happens, some quarterback will have to lead a group of men effectively enough in order to overcome a novel task.  He will no longer have the luxury to rely on 2nd best; field goals are merely a dream.

Instead, this QB will have to manufacture points the old fashioned way; Touchdowns.  With no kicking game but an eye on the prize, the QB will be blessed with a gift of an extra down.  Another shot.  A second chance.  A Hail Mary.

A 4-Down-Offense (4DO) opens doors.  Simple as that.  I have no idea how it will progress, except that when it does, I hope I get a front row ticket.  A 4DO catapults the QB from leading a battle for position to leading an entire team into battle.  Points from field goals are comforting, but controlling the game and the outcome is what truly counts.  Everyone examines great quarterbacks and observes their game winning drives.  It is these drives that define them.  Many times, such drives begin with only one of two possible outcomes: touchdown or bust.  This gives them the ability (without the need for kicker-injury) to work with a 4DO.  When their backs are against the wall, they dig deep and perform with excellence.  It's impressive and the reward is just.  The entire team wins, not just one man.

So, I'm wishing that the new year brings performances similar in nature to the above.  Once again, we all will be further enlightened.  A 4DO or quarterback masterpiece may not actually happen.  But there will be flashes of brilliant play from a unified group achieving to reach an ultimate goal of team success.  The more I think, the more I get this feeling... It may come from Defense...

No comments:

Post a Comment

© James M. Dion 2017